Formerly a stately home, Manor Park Country House, or Ynyspenllwch Mansion, was built in the 1700’s, and is a Grade II Listed Building.
The architecture of the building is now quite rare within the Swansea Valley, as it represents a substantial Italianate Villa which is typical of houses built by those with large industrial wealth at the time.
John Miers, originally of London, moved to Vernon House, Wales in the 1760’s, later acquiring Cadaxton Lodge Estate. Ynyspenllwch Estate was then bought by the executors of the will of John Miers (Younger). It was purchased from Molly Ann Mackworth, the widow of Sir Robert Mackworth of Gnoll. Ynyspenllwch house was then built, replacing the small lodge which had previously occupied the site. Ynyspenllwch Mansion remained in the Miers family for the duration of the 1800’s.
In 1927 Ursuline Order of Sisters were offered a sub-tenancy at the Mansion. The sisters became a familiar sight around the village, and supported the community, helping those in need.
The Sisters also run a children’s home from within the house, as well as a successful private school right up until 1970. In 1956, the Sisters thought they would lose their tenancy on Ynyspenllwch House when the nickel works within the estate were looking to extend.
They managed to purchase the property outright, and continued to be a strong part of the wider community up until 1994 when it was purchased by the current owners.
The building has been refurbished several times throughout its history. Although it is decorated with a mix of traditional and modern decor and decked out with present-day facilities, the building retains its prominent architectural features and oozes historical character.